Mackerel Plantain Tostones
- 2 green plantains
- ½ cup vegetable oil, for frying
- sea salt
- 1 can (4.4 oz) mackerel in olive oil La Sirena
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced (cured optional)
- Mix the tuna, tomato, and cilantro in a bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the plantains and slice 1” thick into diagonal.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil and plantain slices and cook until golden.
- Use a tostonera to flatten the fried plantains or place a plate over them and press down.
- Return the plantains to the hot oil and fry 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Add sea salt.
- Add 1 tbsp of the mix of tuna on top of each plantain. Add the sliced onion and black pepper.